In addition to the statewide working groups, the New Mexico Transportation Plan features seven Regional Working Groups (RWGs). These groups are comprised of public agencies, private organizations, and individuals with an interest in one of the State’s seven regional transportation planning areas (see map below). Members of the RWGs will look broadly across all of the transportation issues of their respective regions, complementing the ‘deep dive’ that the statewide working groups are taking within specific transportation issue areas. The efforts of the RWGs will culminate in the development of seven Regional Transportation Plans. These will provide guidance and show how the statewide plan will be implemented at the regional level.
All seven RWGs will be meeting over the next month to provide input to the planning process. As with the statewide working groups, we will be posting questions from the regional working groups in this forum. We look forward to your engagement in this process.
Over the last couple weeks, four of our nine statewide working groups met to initiate discussions about topics that are critical to the development of our long range transportation plan for New Mexico. (The other groups will start meeting over the next couple months.) The statewide working groups are one of the ways we are generating the raw ideas that will help shape the plan. The groups will address transportation issues identified in Federal transportation legislation and key issues that are specific to New Mexico. These issues include:
- Public health, safety and security
- State of good repair – the physical condition of the transportation system
- Access, mobility, and connectivity of the transportation system
- Freight movement – how goods move to, from, within, and through the State
- Regional development, border considerations, and related issues
- Visitor travel, recreation and tourism
- Federal, state, and tribal lands
- Cultural resources, historic resources, landscapes, and natural environment
- Plan implementation and project delivery
As our working groups meet, we will be posting questions from them in this forum. We look forward to your engagement in this process.