The Year 2040: It sounds so far away. Why even think about it? But, when the goal is making sure our transportation system meets our future needs, the time to start planning is now.
The New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) has begun a comprehensive and collaborative process to develop a 2040 Statewide Long-Range Multimodal Transportation Plan (SLRP). The plan will provide a vision for how New Mexico’s transportation system can support the well-being of our residents and visitors now and in the future.
This website includes a summary of the project, a blog with current information about the plan, and locations and times of public meetings. You can also visit the New Mexico Department of Transportation Planning website for more information.
About the Plan
The plan will be developed over the next 18 months and will answer four basic questions:
- Where are we now? What is the existing condition of the transportation system?
- Where do we want to go? What is the vision for the future of the system?
- How are we going to get there? What investments will help us achieve the vision?
- What will it take? What resources – staff and financial – are required?
We value your input. The 2040 Plan will be developed from the ground up, working with the State’s residents and businesses to better understand the transportation issues and challenges in New Mexico. A number of approaches are being used to gather input, including:
- Statewide working groups comprised of experts in particular areas like safety, public health, freight movement, visitors/tourism, and others
- Regional groups comprised of members from local and regional communities
- Interactive website and social media
- Bilingual statewide survey
- Public meetings and information stations at public events.
While our view is set at the horizon – where we’ll be in 2040 – we know that the reality of transportation for you is how you are affected today. Please join us as we begin to examine the existing and future needs of transportation in New Mexico.
Please use the form below to contact us with any questions or feedback.